PL6: Business Management and Information Technology
The objective of the syllabus is to equip the students with basics of business management and the use of information technology in modern day businesses.
On successful completion of this exam, the student shall be able to:
- Differentiate between a manager and a leader.
- Elaborate the qualities of leadership.
- Elaborate Governance and the related approaches.
- Showcase their understanding of nature of management approaches used in the business organizations.
- Elaborate the criticality of team work in the success of business entities.
- Explain the basics of human behaviors.
- Describe how the information technology is transforming the business world.
- Describe Cloud and mobile technology.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of MS office applications, networking.
- Define and explain the fundamentals of an ERP system.
- Elaborate the importance of ERPs in business management and control.
- Explain the importance of data security and the technologies used for it.
|Leadership and management concepts, team work
|Approaches to organisational governance
|Information technology role including cloud and mobile techs
|ERPs and MS office applications
|E business and data security
Leadership and management concepts
- Differentiate between leadership and management.
- Key leadership traits in organization development.
- Differentiate between entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship.
- Major aspects of business management, planning, execution and controlling.
Governance and approaches to organizational governance
- Explain the terms Governance.
- Discuss the principal-agent relationship from Governance perspective.
- Describe the various stakeholders in the business organization and their interest and how those may conflict with each other.
- Compare rules vs principle based approaches to governance.
- Functions of board of directors
- Differentiation between executive and non executive directors and their respective roles in the board of directors.
- Argument for and against unitary and two-tier boards.
- Explain Corporate Social Responsibility and the concept of corporate citizenship.
- Explain the governance variations in public sector private sector and NGOs
Role of information technology, cloud and mobiles
- Explain the ways information technology is influencing the businesses.
- Describe the role IT can play in growth of business organization.
- Identify the risk factors associated with use of IT in businesses.
- Discuss the need for new technologies like cloud and mobile technologies for business organizations.
- The risk factors involved in use of new technologies in businesses especially cloud and mobile techs.
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and MS Office Applications
- Explain the concept of ERPs.
- Describe the essential features of an ERP.
- Describe the role of ERP in business planning, control and day to day management.
- Discuss the stages involved in an ERP implantation in the business organization.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of MS Excel, MS Word and Power Point.
- Demonstrate the familiarity with using following features of MS excel:
- Sum and Sumif
- If, Look up and V look up
- Average, count, max, min
- IRR, PV,NPV
- Pivot tables
- Demonstrate the familiarity with using following features of MS Word
- Conditional formatting
- Inserting tables, headers and footers
- Use of formulae in tables
- Attaching MS Excel files in MS Word Document
- Usage of track changes.
- Prepare and present simple letters, reports.
- Demonstrate the familiarity with using following features of MS Power Point:
- Insertion of graphs and data tables in slides
- Slide broadcasting ways
- Adding pictures, videos in slides
- Prepare presentations using above features.
E-business and Data Security
- Describe the main E-business entities and their impact on the traditional business.
- Assess the impact of e-marketing on business and its differentiation with traditional marketing platforms.
- Explain the simple model of an e-business and the ways of getting suppliers and customers.
- Explain the concept of data security and cyber security
- Assess the threats to organizations related to data compromise and cyber-attacks.
- Discuss the methods/technologies used for data security and cyber security